Sunday, October 19, 2008

Mexican Rain

Hello, and welcome again to the Sunday night special. Tonight, I’ll be talking about a couple of things. First among them is this article I found on good ole’ NPR. Not the newest article, but since it pertains to both racism and justice, I think that it should find a nice new home here. If you don’t feel like reading it, here’s is a very short summary:
There are a lot of Mexican immigrants that enter this country every day. Its hard to get an accurate count of how many are in this country right now. When law enforcement captures them, they either drop them off at the Mexican border or fly them to Mexico City. If they are non-Mexican, they are flown to their country of origin. All of this puts a strain upon the justice system; presumably flights to outside of this country are expensive.
So what is the solution for this sort of problem, if one even believes it to be a problem? Well, perhaps we could open the borders to all. That way, we wouldn’t have to guard them or deport people unless they commit a crime. Alternatively, we could use the money to build a very large and guarded concrete fence to keep immigrants out so we don’t have to deport them. We could also not deport them at.
All in all, immigration is a very complex issue that isn’t likely to be solved anytime soon by anyone, unless some sort of drastic measure that we all can get behind is found. Personally, I don’t really view Mexican immigration as a large problem. America has a history of blaming its problems on whatever group is considered sinful or outcast at the time. In the 1800s it was the Irish, then the Eastern Europeans, then the Chinese. IN the early 1900s it was still the all of those groups, no including Mexicans. It hasn’t changed much since.
This whole talk has me kind of down, so I think that I will post a bit of music here. Listen closely, and I think you may hear some lyrics that relate to racism in America, both past and present.

1 comment:

queenb509 said...

I get irritated when I hear people talk about immigrations laws. Don't get me wrong, I love my country, but if you think about, unless you are Native American, you are an immigrant or a descendant of one. I feel that anyone should have the right to live in the United States as long as they can speak English since that is our current language. I know that I would not survive if I chose to move to a different country without learning their language to communicate. I don't think that building a concrete wall around our boarders will solve anything. I think that it will just make us look like bigger a**holes with a "we are better than you" attitude.